Get-Away

October 23rd, 2010 § 28 comments

It was a little after 2AM when I rang The Attorney.

“Turn off the alarm, I’m coming down there.”

Naturally, given the hour, he thought there was a problem.

As my grandaddy would say, “Nothing good ever happens after midnight.”

I assured him that nothing was wrong.  Nothing that a bit of boot-knocking wouldn’t cure, and I was on the highway in minutes.

Yes.  A booty call.

Normally, I am not spontaneous like that.

Neither is The Attorney.  That’s part of why we “work.”

But, a summer’s worth of only phone calls, texts, and brief meetings had finally come to a head.

Despite the angel on one shoulder telling me to consider the consequences, the devil on the other one convinced me that Granny generally sleeps through the night and therefore the best time to “go get you some.”

So I did.

It’s a 90-minute trip each way, so I was on the road longer than I was actually in The Attorney’s bed.  But before the sun– or Granny–could rise, I was back home, wallowing in an afterglow of satisfaction mingled with guilt.

Nothing good happens after midnight.

Nothing bad happened, and Granny had no idea I was even out of the house, but I still felt some guilt about leaving her at all hours.

What if something had gone wrong?

“You need to stop stressing about things that didn’t happen.”

Those were The Attorney’s words a couple of days later.   In his own fit of spontaneity, he had given up going out of town to run in a race that weekend and, instead, showed up on our front porch.

I thought he had come up so that we could spend time together, but his main intention was to spell me.

Fetching my wallet and the keys to my truck, he said, “I’m staying all day, so I’ll still be here when you get back.  But for now, you need a break.”

“What about Granny?”

“You ever think that maybe she needs a break for you, too?”

Ever an attorney.

Then he sent me away.

Anywhere.

To do anything.

Something spontaneous.

As long as I got away for a while.

§ 28 Responses to Get-Away"

You obviously have every reason to “wallow.”
    Thanks for coming back for as long as you can.

• Dave says:

Now that’s a great man!

• Kelly says:

Awww… now that is sweet… i hope you enjoyed your away time… we all need it sometimes…

Of course you have to get away now and again – especially for a booty call.

• David G.S. says:

Very nice. You two were made for each other. Great to hear from you again.

Good for you! One can’t live like a monk forever Tony; that is for sure! Don’t be so hard on yourself. Everybody needs a break now and again. Being a full-time caretaker is very difficult. You are a very good man!

• Condoguy says:

Sendimg you a thousand hugs. Use them as needed or prescribed.

• Chris says:

Good to hear from you and see that you are doing OK. You do need to get away every now and then and a booty call is just what you needed. The attorney sounds like a gem.

Hold on to him Tony! Hold tight.

Good to know care was given to the caretaker.
    Not to disagree with grandaddy, but some of my best times happened after midnight!
    No football talk this season, I can see why.
    Take care of ALL of you.

• YAY to no football talk comment!! LMAO

• Marvin says:

Such a wonderful relationship. And good sex is like medicine for the soul. :-)

Thanks for sharing another page from your beautiful love story!

It’s wonderful to hear from you, even briefly (no Attorney pun intended!)…my best wishes and hugs to the 3 of you….

• Alan says:

Sounds like the Attorney is as wise as you are.

• Mark says:

What a sigh of relief to know everything is ok….. and the attorney, bless his heart, always seems to do the right thing at the right time…… as it has been said before, you were made for each other…. you drew us all into your world, please don’t shut us out for so long again. We do care about you, granny and the attorney….

• You won’t believe how glad I’m always reading from you you, it’s seeing from a distance something beautiful and heartwarming.

• Damien Oz says:

The Attorney – good man.

• Will says:

Better than the sex (not that there’s too much that’s better than sex) and the day off for you (which is golden) is the thoughtfulness that went on behind both. THAT’s a relationship!

I’m so happy you and the attorney have eah other; and so happy that granny has both of you.

• Frank says:

Cute, sexy story.

• Rob says:

Your guy is a keeper and worthy of an extra shag now and again to hold on to the little bit of sanity full time caregiving leaves the giver on a good day. On a bad day… there isn’t enough shag on planet Earth to dull that pain but a simple hug and a shoulder to weep on works wonders too. I hope the attorney’s shoulders are broad. I hope granny is gaining strength and is a daily blessing to you until she chooses to dust off her angel wings and fly home. You’ve already got angle wings in my book. Thank you for finding time to post just so we know life goes on West of Mayberry. Still praying for you and Attorney and Granny. Be well and shag as often as the miles will allow.

• Daryl says:

It’s nice when a relationship works!

• G says:

Come back more often. We miss you very much.

• ge1 says:

Come back more often. We miss you very much more than you willever know. When youget hooked on someone. It’s bitchwhen they leave. I’m selfish I know but we want you back.

• Birdie says:

Sweetie, you won’t be able to maintain this without great cost to you; it’s not healthy emotionally or physically. If you cannot afford respite care for a few hours each day, consider getting a personal alarm for Granny. We kids just arranged this past week to get a Lifeline system for our dad, who won’t accept companion care even when he needs it. When triggered by its owner, the company calls the owner first, then “responders” who are listed by name and phone. (That would be you and others of your choosing.) Only when no responders are available do they call 911.

This way you can live the life to which you are entitled and still take good care of the Granny you love. Take care of yourself too, for the Attorney’s sake as well.

• Kerry in Phoenix says:

That’s the kind of person to have in your life. Still sending you all god vibes. I think of you often.

• Odom18Althea says:

Cars and houses are quite expensive and not everybody can buy it. But, loan are created to help people in such hard situations.

• juicy outlet says:

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

You are currently reading Get-Away at West of Mayberry.