Better

November 22nd, 2010 § 23 comments

Last time I posted I promised I would be better.

Better at posting.

Well, I haven’t been.

But I am better.  In life.

Not only am I better, but I am the best I have been in months.

Life is getting back on track and I am feeling in the swing of things again.

In early October, I applied for and went through a screening to receive some in-home daily care for Granny.  I didn’t mention it before because it is a fairly involved process and also has a long waiting list.  I didn’t know if or when it would ever happen. Well, I found out the week before Halloween that we were approved for assistance for 18 hours a week.

This would allow me to go back to work, and allow me to get some help with Granny without completely giving over her care completely to someone else.

It’s a good compromise for the conflict I was feeling: On the one hand, I felt worthless not going out and doing an honest day’s work, but at the same time, it’s my job to take care of Granny above everything else.

It was all The Attorney’s idea, and it took some strong-arming to get me to agree to applying.  But, as usual, he was right about it.  It’s the best possible set-up for me and Granny, and our temperaments (read: stubborness).

The only issue I take with anything he did was him using some influence and pulling some strings to push us through the waiting list.  I just don’t think it’s fair when others need support and relief as my much as we do.  But, he had the ball in motion before I could have done anything to stop it.  Plus, I don’t know what I could have done anyway.

So, Granny’s nurse came on Monday, November 1st for a meet and greet.

Before that, I always imagined some chain-smoking pill dispenser with heavy eye-make up.

That was until found out his name is Sam.

Then, for some reason, I pictured a big black guy.  I thought how funny to have my Granny, a former Atlanta debutante, being care for a big black guy named Sam.  Big Sam.  Just like Scarlett in “Gone With The Wind.”

But the last name erased that image.

Sam’s last name is Asian.  So is Sam, for that matter.  Chinese.

At 5′-5″, Sam is slightly taller than Granny, and a full foot shorter than The Attorney.  But he is also cute as a button, and built like a shit-brickhouse.

He’s got the compact muscle-bulging body of a former gymnast or cheerleader.1  And any time I try to describe his bootie I just start babbling.  Maybe it’s from the light-headedness, because I also get rock-hard when I think about his bootie.

Make that steel-hard.2

Am I bad for wanting to fuck my Granny’s nurse?

I never would, of course.  But that’s not gonna stop me from looking.  And thinking.  And throbbing.

He’s been with us a couple of weeks now.  He’s very sweet and gentle, and treat’s Granny with such respect.

Sam being her has calmed her a great deal, which makes her feel better;  gotten me back into the workforce, which makes me feel better;  and even given my libido a kick in the pants, which makes The Attorney feel better.

I wonder if that is why The Attorney was so insistent?

1. And ya’ll know how I love cheerleaders []
  2. I just checked. []

§ 23 Responses to Better"

• yani says:

Seriously, you give that Attorney a big kiss from me when you see him… he’s one awesome guy!

And I’m glad you’re getting some help with Granny, being a carer isn’t easy and it’s good to have somebody else there, even if it is only for 18 hours a week.

• Peter says:

Tony, you had other fish to fry, which is far more important than blogging.

I’m glad your Granny has now some extra help around the house, and you can pick up your life/work again. let’s hope The Attorney can make time free for you and visit you.

Yayy on the help. Whether it is for your job or your mental health, it is good you have it.

Do not fret about the thought of line-jumping. It’s not so much you get it over other people, as the process just gets bogged down and left to tread water until someone comes along who knows how to navigate the paper trail.

…and stay away from the help!

• Sean says:

Wonderful news!

• Ojo says:

It is such a relief to know that you are getting some help…and such sexy help…how about you give us a snapshot of Sam and Granny sometime.

Strange how things fall into place.Imagine if Scarlett’s Sam had been Asian…
    Enjoy Thanksgiving with Granny,the attorney and ALL your blessings!

• A. Lewis says:

Just don’t let Granny watch you when you fuck him.

Lovely to see a post from you. And you’ll never know how much it meant for me to get your comment on my post a while back. My MIL passed away on 11/12. We’ve just finished a long week of activity. Big hugs to you. The assistance thing is something that I’m overly familiar with — I’ve spent the last numerous years dealing with all sorts of agencies who “Help us take care of them.” They are great people!

• I fear there was a lot of pressure in your life recently, & so I’m glad to read this now :-)

I am very glad that everything is working out so well for you!

• Mystik says:

I am so glad to hear that things are moving in a “Better” direction for you and Granny. I have been there and know the labor it takes to take care of someone you love and not wanting to relinquish that task to others. But sometimes help is what we all need to keep our mental and physical health in check. Don’t feel rushed to get back to us… We know what is going on and our thoughts are with you all.

What a blessing for all of you!

Your sweet Attorney sure knows how to manipulate you into accepting what you really need. Oh, and help for Granny, too!

Just be careful not to board the wrong caboose! ;-)

• David G. S. says:

Ah! What a lucky nurse to have such a warm hearted hung Tennessee boy get babbly over his bootie! Tony, I’m so glad for you and granny. My mom was so relieved when she finally got her mother the help that was needed. You couldn’t do it on your own for too much longer. And good for the Attorney. What’s with you and resisting the help he wants to give you? He loves you. I understand your feelings that other people need help too, but they’d take the attorney up on his strings to pull. So lighten up. Love to you. Glad you’re back. Be better next time. I check every few days and today I was very “huh?” the web page looked different. The ….words changed… And happy thanksgiving to you and granny and the Attorney.

• Chris says:

Yay about you getting help for Granny. Yay about your skipping out and feeling bad last month. The last thing that she would want is for you to stop your life to dwell on her. She is proud of you and what you have accomplished in your life.

Keep on living what you can for you. It is what Granny would want. You deserve the time off. Rejoice in the times you have now, both good and bad, you will need them later.

You, my Sir, are indeed lucky to have both Granny and the Attorney in your life.

Enjoy both of them.

• Marvin says:

So nice to hear things are better, and you have the help you need. No harm in some guy candy around the place too. :-)

• john says:

Glad to hear things are great and that you are back. Simply, I ENJOY reading your blog

I am so happy for you, Granny and the Attorney. Plus, if Sam gets you hot, the Attorney gets the reward he deserves for pushing you to do something in your own best interest. It really does sound like a win for all the parties involved.

I had been worried about all of you so I’m very happy to hear things are going well.

• Birdie says:

I think one of the most difficult things to do is accept help, especially if we are usually the one providing it. Think of it as giving the gift of being needed, something each of us desires. The Attorney needed to do this for you; let him. Your Granny needs you to take time for yourself; do it. Grace abounds in unexpected places; take it in with no need to balance the scale. Grace just is.

• Will says:

You sound so “up” that this post was a pleasure to read. You’ve stood by granny so long and so well — it’s very good that you now have some help to allow you some time and activity to yourself.

Happy Thanksgiving to You, Granny, the Attorney and Sam who is now part of the family!

• dwight williamson says:

I find your blog very inspiring and sweet. I also love how you can interject sex into it sometimes. Navigating the system with an attorney is the way things are done in the U.S. You are lucky enough to have your own personal lawyer. Good for you. Best Wishes Dwight Williamson

• Condoguy says:

So glad to hear that a ray of sunshine has been brought into your life. Sometimes just being able to feel like you are able to breathe again makes a big difference.

The Universe has a way of pushing us and providing for us in ways only they understand.

Sending you and Granny light and love.

It’s a smart man who asks for help when needed.

• Chris says:

Nice to hear, and I am sure that got you down but you’re a good person to do it and not complain.
    So good to know you are back working and Sam (the firecracker) sounds like a nice caregiver and easy on the eyes.

• Condoguy says:

Was thinking of you today. Hoping all is well.

You are currently reading Better at West of Mayberry.