The holidays always brings reruns of favorite movies and TV specials. So, in the spirit of the holidays, I have decided to rerun some of my older holiday-themed posts on the remaining days up until Christmas. Any footnotes are current.
“Christmas Time Is Here”
Originally posted December 15, 2006 at LARGETONY Blog
I can’t believe it’s only ten more days before Christmas. I’m way behind on dealing with it, although it’s not like I do a whole lot in celebration, anyway. I’m pretty much a low key guy, and I like my holidays the same way. I had planned to get a tree last weekend, but didn’t because Adelina, the not-greek Portuguese lady whose place I painted a couple of months back, asked (hired) me to lead a small team of guys (three) to put up her Christmas stuff up at her ridiculously huge house.
This weekend, I’ll get our tree up and tonight is my company Christmas party. So, I guess it’s time I get in the mood. I thought my holiday banner would at least jump start me and inspire me to write some things in honor of the holidays, but I was without the internet for about five days, and the freaky warm weather we are having right now is throwing me off.
I was over at Yaniblog this evening (tying to catch up on all the blog reading that I am about two weeks behind on) and he had posted a Christmas meme. So, I figured, what the hell. I’ll kick things off in a similar way. Anybody who wants to share, feel free.
- Eggnog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate. Egg Nog is like phlegm custard topped with nutmeg.
- Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? I was always of the feeling that wrapped presents were from family. Wrapping presenst would mean boxes, making it harder for him to stuff the goodies in his sack.
- Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored. White lights always seemed like something that fancy people do.1
- Do you hang mistletoe? No. I wear it as a belt buckle. 🙂 To be honest, I don’t know if I have ever even seen real mistletoe. Just the fake stuff.
- When do you put your decorations up? Usually the second weekend of December. A little late this year. And it all comes down on New Year’s Day.
- What is your favorite Christmas dish? Ham with a mustard and brown sugar glaze. Don’t be surprised to get up in the middle of the night and find me standing in the kitchen in my underwear digging into what’s left over, carving off little chunks. Just one more piece…
- Favorite Christmas memory as a child? I don’t know if I have a favorite memory, but I do remember my mother trying to fool me into bed “before Santa comes” by shaking bells out behind the house. I have to admit that it worked well enough that I didn’t chance it and ran to bed.
- When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? It was in the third or fourth grade at school. I was laughed at to the point of humilation for believing.
- Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No. I’m a patient person. I can wait for just about anything.
- What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him? If I had not had my grade school trauma, it would probably be cut-out sugar cookies. They are a real strong symbol of Christmas for me. I don’t have sugar cookies any other time of the year.
- Snow! Love it or hate it? I really like snow. i don’t think I would like living some place where they get weeks and weeks of snow. But I look at it like going to the bathroom. You don’t want spend your life in there, but a good dump now and then is pretty satisfying.
- Can you ice skate? Lordy, i can’t even imagine. And with the size of my feet, it would be like those ships that bust up the ice in the North Atlantic.2
- Do you remember your favorite present? It was a stuffed dog that I got around age five..and I was attached to it many more years than I should have been. It was eventually taken from me.
- What’s the most important thing about Christmas to you? Reaffirming to the people you love that you love them.
- What is your favorite holiday dessert? Rum Cake
- Favorite tradition? Putting up and decorating the tree. Mostly because of the smell.3
- What tops your tree? A star.
- Which do you prefer – giving or receiving? Giving, definitely
- What is your favorite Christmas Carol? “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” when Judy Garland sings it. That version is a little sad in a bittersweet kind of way and it sort of emphasizes that it’s not what you have, but who you have. I’m also pretty partial, as you can hear, to “Christmas Time Is Here.” Stay on the page long enough and you’ll hear three different versions.
- Candy Canes? If somebody wants to suck something for that long, I got a better idea for them. And I’ll rub it with a mint leaf first if they want.